No neighborhood says “Bawlmer” quite like north Baltimore’s Hampden, a 19th- century blue-collar mill town that has evolved into the epicenter of hipster Baltimore kitsch. Made famous for its starring roll in John Waters’ films and long known as the place where everybody calls you ‘hon,’ Hampden centers on 36th Street – known to locals simply as the Avenue. You’ll find truly original shops and an eccentric array of cafes mingling with the barber shops and pharmacies that keep this authentic, hard working neighborhood real. Honfest is the annual spring street festival dedicated to the beehive, cat’s-eye glasses and all things “hon.”
Plan your trip!
- Wildlife Rescue at the Maryland Science Center May 13, 2013 - January 1, 2014 | 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Global Poster Festival April 27, 2013 - June 15, 2013 | All Day
- Max Weber: Bringing Paris to New York March 3, 2013 - June 23, 2013 | All Day
- The Wizard of Oz at Port Discovery Children’s Museum January 26, 2013 - September 15, 2013 | All Day
- Harriet Tubman Art Exhibition March 3, 2013 - June 23, 2013 | All Day