Artist and Mount Vernon resident, Jose Villarubia talks about the neighborhood that inspires him.
See more Baltimore videos at VisitMyBaltimore.com.
Just north of downtown rests the city's cultural heart, Mount Vernon, once home to Baltimore's Gilded Age elite. Learn about this top baltimore cultural neighborhood, and discover places to visit in the mount vernon cultural district.
Artistic Attractions in Mount Vernon
While Washington, D.C., is home to a more famous landmark, the nation's first monument to George Washington (currently closed for renovations) sits proudly at the center of Mount Vernon Square. What were once the grand mansions of Baltimore's 19th- century industrialists are now museums, galleries, shops and restaurants, beckoning visitors to the neighborhood's many fine museums and arts institutions to linger a bit longer.
Take in the masterpieces of Raphael, El Greco and Bernini as well as an overwhelming array of Greek and Roman antiquities at the Walters Art Museum.
In sharp contrast, the Contemporary Museum exhibits avant garde works of modern and installation art.Stroll across the street to the spiraling heights and ornamental ironwork of the Peabody Library’s Grand Cathedral of Books, a five-story marvel.
Historical Treasures in the Mount Vernon Cultural District
Also nestled in Mount Vernon is America’s first Catholic Cathedral, recently and meticulously restored beyond its original glory. The Maryland Historical Society displays the original copy of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Stroll the neighborhood and let the impressive architecture and manicured public gardens transport you to a bygone era.
Plan your trip!
- Matisse's Marguerite: Model Daughter September 18, 2013 - January 19, 2014 | All Day
- Divided Voices: Maryland in the Civil War April 16, 2011 - December 31, 2015 | All Day
- All Aboard for Train Ride Season at the B&O! June 18, 2013 - December 31, 2013 | All Day
- Mummies Of The World: The Exhibition September 28, 2013 - January 20, 2014 | 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Breakfast with the Animals June 18, 2013 - December 31, 2013 | All Day