The Irish Shrine at Lemmon Street
Location: Railroad Historical District
Company name: Railroad Historical District Corp
Length of tour: The first half of the tour takes about 1 1/2 hours. After a 45 minute lunch break, the second half of the tour goes to St. Peter's Cemetery, which is about a 15 minute drive from the B&O Railroad Museum.
Time: Call or visit Web site for times
Departure location: B&O Museum parking lot, (901 West Pratt Street)
Individual price: Free
Group price: Free
Web address: www.irishshrine.org
The Irish Shrine and Railroad Workers Museum, at 918-920 Lemmon Street is a historic site that celebrates the history of the immense Irish presence in Southwest Baltimore City beginning in the 1840's. The museum includes a furnished period house reflecting how a working class railroad family lived in the mid-nineteenth century as well as an adjoining museum with an introductory video telling the story of Irish immigration to Baltimore during the Famine, exhibits devoted to nearby St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and the immediate neighborhood, as well as a re-created nineteenth-century Irish pub. The museum can be visited any Saturday, or by appointment. The longer neighborhood tours are offered on a regular basis, with specific details posted on our website.
Plan your trip!
- Matisse's Marguerite: Model Daughter September 18, 2013 - January 19, 2014 | All Day
- Book Bindings from the Gilded Age October 27, 2013 - January 19, 2014 | 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Egypt\'s Mysterious Book of the Faiyum October 27, 2013 - January 5, 2014 | 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Miracle on 34th Street November 30, 2013 - January 1, 2014 | All Day
- Mummies Of The World: The Exhibition September 28, 2013 - January 20, 2014 | 10:00am - 5:00pm