Article

Get Educated

Baltimore Tourism Improvement Districts (BTIDs) - From State-Enabling to City Council Overview

An evolution of Business Improvement Districts, TIDs are picking up pace as a way to generate additional and protected funds for destination marketing and tourism promotion.  Currently, there are ~165+ active TIDs in operation across the country.  Visit Baltimore, together with our City's hotel community, are exploring how such a model could be a game changer for Baltimore tourism.  As part of that exploration, we are working with the Mayor's Office to secure broad enabling legislation during Annapolis Session 2018 - legislation that simply authorizes the City to establish, by Council Ordinance, Toursim Improvement District(s). 

Check out our current advocacy campaigns for how you can help support our BTID efforts, and, download our BTID State-Enabling to City Council overview here.

 

Visit Baltimore
Who We Are, What We Do, Why We Do It (2017 Edition)

Click here to download a PDF.
Or, visit www.baltimore.org/annualreport to view the full Annual Report for 2017-2018.

 

Funding for Visit Baltimore IS Funding for Baltimore Tourism Marketing & Promotion

The City’s official destination marketing organization and a not-for-profit organization, Visit Baltimore receives 40% of all hotel room taxes collected in the City for convention sales and marketing and tourism promotion – a tax paid by those overnight visitors we work so hard to attract.  The remaining 60% going to the City of Baltimore's General Fund and used to support essential city services.

Hotel Tax revenues comprise ~87% of our annual operating budget, and therefore, the available dollars to market and promote Baltimore as a great place in which to visit, meet and do businesses. This funding stream is mandated by legislation in the Maryland General Assembly, and was last renewed in 2017 through 2022*. Check out a slideshow presentation outlining more about Visit Baltimore’s dollars in and dollars out from Session 2017. 

*note - as part of our 2017 funding renewal, Visit Baltimore entered into an MOU with the City of Baltimore whereby our 40% share of hotel tax revenues will be capped for Fiscal Years 2019 - 2021, and, reduced below FY2017 levels effective FY2022.  


Articles 

Support for tourism funding and the power of tourism promotion is a topic of discussion in Baltimore and nationally:

 

Baltimore Tourism Workforce Study

In 2016, Visit Baltimore commissioned a study to determine how our meetings and tourism industry creates jobs and opportunities for residents from every city neighborhood and every surrounding jurisdiction. The results? By example of Visit Baltimore’s membership network (excluding transportation), Baltimore tourism directly employs more than 48,763 jobholders residing in 22 MD Legislative Districts spanning seven counties including Baltimore City. That is 70% of Total Baltimore Tourism Employment according to annual data provided by Tourism Economics. Click here to download the Executive Summary 


What does Visit Baltimore’s membership mean to me?

The benefits of Visit Baltimore membership far outweigh the cost of membership. Visit Baltimore members can login to the Visit Baltimore Member Extranet and click on BENEFITS SUMMARY to view stats for your own business including: positive editorial coverage secured, website views and traffic generated, service leads and opportunities, and listings information. Questions? Contact Pamela Pennington [email protected] in Visit Baltimore’s Membership Department.

 

Industry & Third-Party Research:

  • Tourism Economics | Destination Marketing: The Fuel for an Economic Engine
    Click here to download the report.
  • Maryland Office of Tourism Development
    The Research unit of the Maryland Office of Tourism Development provides quantitative and qualitative research analysis to support the State’s mission of continued economic growth from the tourism industry, as well as broader support to the Department of Commerce. Visit industry.visitmaryland.org/research/
  • Us Travel Association – Economic Impact Calculator BY LEGISLATIVE DISTRICT
    Visit www.travelcoalition.org/economic-impact#md to discover additional economic impact statistics for your specific MD Legislative District as provided by US Travel.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More Inspiration

No results.