BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) talent and leadership is vastly underrepresented in the travel and tourism industry. The Visit Baltimore & Tourism Economics Data Analytics Fellowship will offer emerging leaders from underrepresented communities and diverse ethnic backgrounds the opportunity to gain firsthand experience working in the destination marketing and travel economics industries. This 600-hour paid fellowship will involve working with the operations departments at Visit Baltimore and Tourism Economics. The program will provide training and professional development opportunities through academic seminars, in-depth research and analysis and a broad range of skill development.
The Visit Baltimore Education and Training Foundation was established in 2014 to facilitate educational programs, training objectives and career opportunities in the hospitality industry.
The Foundation works closely with Visit Baltimore, Inc., which has as its mission the promotion of Baltimore as a preferred destination for conventions, tourism, civic and other events. Visit Baltimore seeks to benefit not only the regional hospitality community, but also the economic well-being of the residents and businesses within the Baltimore region.
Tourism Economics marries rigorous methodology and compelling communication to highlight the vital importance of the visitor economy.
Fellowship Program Overview
Key elements of this program may include:
- Academic seminars to develop frameworks and apply theory.
- In-depth research and analysis of a particular issue area.
- A broad range of skills development: data analysis, public speaking, forecasting, and reporting.
Data Analytics, Economics, Applied Sciences, School of Business, Engineering, Visual Analytics, Hospitality Management, Computational Mathematics, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Industrial & Systems Engineering
The central terms of the Data Analytics Fellowship are as follows:
- Selection preference for a single Data Fellow who identifies as BIPOC.
- At least 600 hours working within the Operations department of a Destination Marketing Organization (DMO), and Tourism Economics.
- Paid stipend during the program (at least $20/hour), and transportation support.
- 3-day intensive on-site on-boarding training session with Tourism Economics.
Applicants should meet the following universal eligibility requirements:
- Aged 18+, a Resident of Baltimore City (preferred) or Baltimore metro region.
- Interest in the hospitality/travel/tourism/economics sector.
- Preferred identity as BIPOC or another underrepresented or minority group.
- Possessing a strong work ethic, a passion for learning, and abundant curiosity.
- Technical knowledge of data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, R etc).
- Analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Major in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management, Data Management or Statistics.
- Commit to a 600 hour fellowship with availability to working a minimum of 20-25 hours per week.
- Adhere to program policies and procedures of Tourism Economics and Visit Baltimore.
- Willingness to commute to the Tourism Economics, Wayne, PA office one day per week.
- Perform all duties as assigned.
- Complete a program survey / post-fellowship evaluation.
Note: While performing the duties of the Fellowship, the candidate is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentials functions.
Complete the FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Submit with your application form:
- Professional Resume
- University Transcript or other verification of degree(s) awarded/to-be awarded (if applicable)
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation from an academic or professional reference that support your application
SEND ALL MATERIALS
By Email: [email protected] (Subject: Data Analytics Fellowship Application),
By Mail Attn: Visit Baltimore Human Resources, 400 E Pratt Street, 10th Floor, Baltimore MD 21202
DEADLINE: November 30, 2021