Posted on August 21, 2018
The fourth annual Academic Scholarship cycle concluded with scholarship awards totaling $14,000 being granted to 6 deserving candidates from a competitive applicant pool of students pursuing tourism-related degrees at regional institutions of higher learning.
Meet our 2018 recipients:
- Ms. Jordan Payne | Jordan is a Baltimore City resident entering the University of Maryland Eastern Shore this fall to study Business and Hospitality Management. As noted in her essay, her career goals include opening a Bed and Breakfast in Baltimore City following a culinary internship at Khepera’s Kitchen, a Baltimore-based caterer.
- Mr. John White | John is a Harford County native pursuing a Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management associate degree from Anne Arundel Community College. He is working full time in the restaurant industry while he pursues his degree. John is hoping to combine his bachelor’s in business with this culinary degree to open a restaurant following graduation in 2019.
- Ms. Melissa Martin-Simmons | Melissa is a past recipient of our scholarship and after finishing her undergraduate degree, she has decided to continue her studies. She is a Baltimore resident pursuing a master’s degree at Towson University in Communications Management while working as the social media coordinator for Harbor Magic Hotels.
- Ms. Benita Vargas-Brown | Benita is Baltimore resident pursuing a master’s degree in Nonprofit Management and Social Entrepreneurship at the University of Baltimore. She volunteers at the Baltimore Zoo, educating guests on conservation as a public programs educator and her experience at the attraction guided her towards her current graduate program.
- Mr. Zachary Jeffers | Zachary is a Baltimore County resident attending Morgan State University this fall to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Business and Entrepreneurship. He has learned the industry by working at his mother’s event planning business and dreams of one day owning a business of his own.
- Ms. Eliana Ramirez-Isaza | Eliana is a Baltimore resident pursuing her bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a specialization in marketing at the University of Baltimore. She recently finished an internship at the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in the marketing department and was hired full-time to market the museum offerings and event space to tourists and residents.
Congratulations to our 2018 Academic Scholarship recipients and thank you to all of our applicants that continue to help our industry grow and thrive in Baltimore! We look forward to celebrating our recipients and their academic (and professional) achievements at Visit Baltimore's Annual Business Meeting at the Hilton Baltimore on Septebmer 25, 2019.