As part of a statewide relief program, Mayor Brandon M. Scott has announced the release of $8 million in grant funds to provide economic assistance to Baltimore City hotels impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit Baltimore has been designated to administer the funds on behalf of the city.
In order to qualify for funding, hotels must have been open and operational prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and must have contributed to sales tax revenue. Baltimore City hotels interested in applying for grant funds should begin their application at the link below.
- Be a hotel operating within the city of Baltimore.
- Be subject to sales and use tax under ss 11-102 of the Tax-General Article of the Maryland Code generate to the tax codes 111 or 901.
- Be subject to the accommodations tax imposed by the city of Baltimore.
- Be in good standing with the state of Maryland.
- Have at least 10 sleeping rooms, except for established bed and breakfasts that must have at least 5 sleeping rooms. (Short-term rentals are not eligible.)
- Demonstrate a reduction in year-over-year gross revenue of at least 25% for the period of April 2020 to November 2020 compared to the gross revenue of April 2019 to November 2019.
- Be open to the public by no later than May 1, 2021.
- Normal operating costs such as rent, payroll, job training, taxes, debt service or similar costs.
- Purchase of PPE, sanitization services or other COVID-19 related costs.
- Prohibited costs include any of the following that are not directly related to COVID-19 prevention:
- Purchase of equipment and soft goods
- Infrastructure improvements
- Technology upgrades
Grant Awards Process:
- The Baltimore City Hotel Relief Grant funding will be determined after the application window closes on March 7 and will depend on the number of applications received.
- The funds must be distributed by March 31st and hotels receiving funds must be open by May 1st.
- If you own more than one qualifying hotel you will be required to complete this application for each hotel; you will be able to copy your answers from your first application to subsequent applications.
Deadline: March 7, 2021 11:59PM EST
What hotels are eligible to apply?
- Hotels must be located within Baltimore City limits and be in good standing with the State of Maryland and City of Baltimore.
- Applicants must have at least 10 sleeping rooms, except for Bed and Breakfasts (see below).
- Applicants must demonstrate a reduction in year-over-year gross revenue of at least 25% for the period of April 2020 to November 2020 compared to gross revenues of April 2019 to November 2019.
Are Bed and Breakfasts eligible?
- Yes, if the property has 5 or more sleeping rooms.
Where can hotels complete the grant application?
What is the deadline to complete the application?
- This is a rolling application process and per state guidelines, funds must be distributed by March 31. We ask that you submit all application materials by March 7.
What can the funds be used for?
- This direct relief can be used for payroll expenses, rent and utilities.
Will there be an opportunity to apply more than once from the same hotel?
- If the full $8 million is not distributed in the first round, the application process will reopen to all qualifying hotels for a second round from March 10-14.
Why is Visit Baltimore handling the distribution?
- Per state guidelines, hotels must apply through their local jurisdiction and Baltimore City designated Visit Baltimore to manage and distribute these funds.
Who can I contact with questions?
- Please direct all questions to [email protected]
If your hotel fits the criteria above, please begin your application at the link below. If you own more than one qualifying hotel you will be required to complete this application for each hotel; you will be able to copy your answers from your first application to subsequent applications.