Visit Baltimore's Public Relations Department provides assistance to travel journalists on assigment by arranging itineraries and facilitating visits to attractions, cultural venues, restaurants and other points of interest.
We work with our member hotels to procure complimentary lodging or rooms nights at a discounted media rate dependent on the story assignment and hotel availability. To serve you better, we have developed the following set of guidelines for media visits to Baltimore. The guidelines below are followed and applied on an individual basis. We appreciate your willingness to abide by the following guidelines:
- All requests for a reduced rate or complimentary travel should be submitted to Visit Baltimore at least three weeks in advance. We recognize the fast-paced nature of the media and request that all media submit a press trip request form and we will do our best to accommodate any requests inside the three-week window.
- Travel press interested in visiting Baltimore should complete the request form, provide a (letter of assignment) and two recently published travel articles to [email protected] or by fax at 443-817-0613 (mandatory for assistance).
- Bloggers should submit all of the above along with third-party documentation of web traffic, and must be active on social media and committed to tweeting and posting during the trip.
- We are not able to provide assistance if the primary purpose of the trip is for leisure or holiday travel with family and friends.
- Visit Baltimore requires that all interested writers submit a copy of recent stories, and/or links to pertinent related coverage. Please provide details about circulation, reach and audience where appropriate.
- Freelance writers must submit a copy of recent travel stories and an assignment letter (as appropriate) to Visit Baltimore for review.
- Lodging is provided at the discretion of our member hotels, and Visit Baltimore cannot guarantee a complimentary stay. Also, please note that complimentary accommodations include room rate only, not incidentals such as phone charges, Wi-Fi, internet, parking and room service.
- Please note that complimentary arrangements are provided at the discretion of the host businesses for the travel writer only and are subject to availability. Our partners will only offer comp or media rates for a maximum of three nights, which should be sufficient for most story assignments. Black-out periods may be experienced throughout the year (i.e. holidays, sporting events and citywide conventions) that may necessitate a press rate, especially at hotels.
- Please understand that assistance is provided for members of the working media only. Host locations are not always able to accommodate spouses, children, photographers and visitors accompanying working journalists.
- Visit Baltimore can only provide travel assistance to writers on assignment. There is no marketing or public relations budget allocated for "spec" stories, cooperative production company filming, start-up web sites or independent writers. Any arrangements for guests must be handled individually by the writer. However, media without an assignment letter may still be eligible to receive a Baltimore VIP Pass providing complimentary admission to many Baltimore attractions and cultural institutions based on the nature of your request.
- Baltimore is an easy drive from many East Coast destinations. Assistance with travel arrangements to Baltimore, if necessary, is provided on a case-by-case basis. We regret that Visit Baltimore is unable to provide airport transfers.
- Visit Baltimore is not able to provide rental cars for visiting journalists, but we are happy to provide a list of rental car companies in the area.
- Visit Baltimore will offer recommendations and can help with arrangements for meals during your visit. While complimentary meals can be requested, they are provided at the discretion of the host restaurant. Complimentary meals exclude gratuity and alcohol and will only be for the writer unless the host wishes to extend the invitation to additional guests.
- Visit Baltimore will provide destination escorts as needed, in-person interviews with key executives, high-resolution photography and fact checking.
- Media assistance cannot be provided on holidays, during high occupancy periods or black-out dates.
- All articles should include reference to www.Baltimore.org and contact information as appropriate (hotels, museums, attractions).
- Please send us a copy of your story once it runs so we can share it with our more than 700 members.
- For international press visits, we partner with the Capital Region USA (CRUSA) to host international press in Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. Please contact Matt Gaffney with your interest at mgaff[email protected].
Requests may be submitted by e-mail to [email protected].
Thank you for your interest in visiting Baltimore!