Baltimore Convention Center
Choose the Baltimore Convention Center for your next function. In the heart of a renewed downtown, the Baltimore Convention Center offers a huge variety of attractions and is an affordable facility with superior amenities for conventions, banquets and meetings of any size.
A meeting planner’s dream, the Baltimore Convention Center is only eight miles from the airport and located conveniently between Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Oriole Park (off of interstates 83 and 295). It is easily accessible by car or light rail systemwith major hotels, shopping and tourist attractions all within walkingdistance.
The Baltimore Convention Center is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment such as a high speed telecommunications network connected to floor boxes and outlets in the meeting rooms. Exhibit halls have covered loading docks and easy direct drive access. Culinary food service is provided by the world-renowned Centerplate.
Green Initiatives at the Baltimore Convention Center
Visit Baltimore, the Maryland Office of Tourism Development, the Baltimore Convent ion Center (BCC) and hospitality businesses are working closely with meeting professionals to provide greener experiences. From the Baltimore Convention Center (BCC) to the Maryland Green Travel program, there are a number of initiatives in place to help offset our carbon footprint and foster green meetings.
The BCC has “gone green” on a number of fronts, including:
- Recycle paper, plastic, bottles, and cans as well as office supplies.
- Exterior glass and skylights allow for the use of natural light to reduce electricity cost.
- Photo sensors in the public lobbies reduce the need of artificial light.
- Lighting and motion sensors in meeting rooms reduce the need of artificial light.
- Meeting room tables are made from 30% recycled products.
- China service is utilized to help reduce waste.
- Reusable service equipment is used on buffets and break stations.
- Centerplate’s sustainable preferential purchasing system increases support of local farmers and the community. Its “Farm-to-Table” program buys locally, whenever possible, thereby conserving energy and creating less pollution when foods travel fewer miles to reach the BCC.
- Centerplate’s participation includes using eco-friendly items. Coffee stirrers along with beverage cups and sleeves are made of recycled materials, all of which are biodegradable. Plates, spoons, forks, and knives all are made of recycled plastics.
- Solid Waste Reduction System, SOMAT, reduces solid catering waste by 90 percent.
- SOMAT transforms reduced solid waste into a soil amendment product that is in turn used for the upkeep of the grounds and flower beds.
- The system has already transformed more than 30,000 pounds of waste into slightly more than 6,900 pounds of usable soil product.
- About 60 to-65 percent of cleaning chemicals are now Green Seal Ecofriendly certified.
- Active ion system currently in use for hard, solid surfaces; this system transforms tap water into a product that cleans 99.9 percent of bacteria.
- The 27,497-square-foot terrace has been transformed into a green roof, with 12, 245 square feet of space planted with drought resistant vegetation.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CONTRACT
- Water conservation through newly installed low-flow bathroom fixtures and commode systems.
- Newly installed LED lighting and lighting controls and control upgrades.
- Participation in Constellation Energy’s Cost Avoidance Program, where implemented has the ability to reduce electrical usage by 20 percent.
The State of Maryland has launched Maryland Green Travel, which encourages environmentally-friendly practices in all aspects of the state’s tourism industry and promotes Maryland as a green destination to the eco-minded traveler. The program was developed by the Maryland Office of Tourism in partnership with the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Maryland Tourism Council. Information about the state’s green programs and listings of certfied members of the hospitality industry actively involved, including LEED-Certified Hotels in Baltimore, may be found at www.visitmaryland.org/green.
Plan your trip!
- Defining Moments: An Exhibition of Works by Bryan Collier (for all ages) January 19, 2013 - May 26, 2013 | All Day
- Beneatha's Place May 8, 2013 - June 16, 2013 | All Day
- The Ben Ezra Synagogue and the Walters-Yeshiva University Ark Door March 2, 2013 - May 26, 2013 | 10:00am - 5:00pm
- In Full Glory Reflected: Maryland during the War of 1812 June 10, 2012 - December 31, 2014 | All Day
- Baltimore Orioles 2013 Ticket Offer April 6, 2013 - September 26, 2013 | 12:00am - 12:00am