Vice President of Convention Sales and Services
About Visit Baltimore:
Established in 1982, as a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit corporation, Visit Baltimore is the official destination marketing organization for Baltimore. We are the marketing arm for the Baltimore Convention Center as well as for Visit Baltimore member businesses within the hospitality community. Visit Baltimore brings together the interests of the private sector, government, trade and civic associations and the Visit Baltimore members, in continuing to build the successful convention and leisure travel industry in the Baltimore area. Mission: Visit Baltimore generates economic benefits for Baltimore City through the attraction of convention, group and leisure visitors, and works to provide a positive experience for all guests.
Values: Our day-to-day behaviors are the foundation of our workplace culture. Because of this, all our actions must come from a place of respect for ourselves, our colleagues, our customers, our community and our stakeholders. Grounded in a foundation of respect, we embrace the following values as the principal pillars of our culture:
- Practice Mindfulness
- Empower Collaboration
- Exemplify Adaptability
- Celebrate Diversity
We’re looking for candidates who are highly personable, always accountable and intentionally collaborative—with the proven ability to thrive in a matrixed organization that fosters a fast-paced, results-based work environment.
Drives the convention sales development strategic platform and provides leadership and direction to the convention sales and services departments. Responsible for setting regional and vertical deployment strategies, as well as new business development market opportunities. Develops strategic sales goals that address long and short-term demand and manages ongoing dialogue with the convention center and hotel community relative to the Target year matrix, convention sales development roadmap and top account universe to optimize sales performance. Direct reports normally include Director of Sales and Services and Director of Citywide Sales. Works collaboratively with Director of Sales and Services and Director of Citywide Sales to ensure seamless team environment with open communication and dialogue around mission and goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains close working relations with area hotels and municipal facilities, which includes a supportive meeting and communication plan; serves as liaison between the client and these facilities; conducts monthly meetings with hotel sales professionals in Baltimore; leads the ongoing Value Creation/Business Acquisition strategy for the development of convention bids, leverages community resources to create unique Value Proposition /Differentiation;
- Guides the development of a marketing plan and strategies to promote Baltimore as a convention destination through sharing of situational and market analysis; works with the Director of Meetings and Convention Marketing to develop promotional sales materials for convention marketing;
- Develops cooperative Direct Sales programs, familiarization trips, and sales leadership missions with area hotels and hospitality industry to market Baltimore to drive inspiration, awareness and new business opportunities;
- Handles priority sales accounts; assigns all new accounts;
- Travels to key industry tradeshows and events to promote Baltimore as a convention destination;
- Compiles and distributes a semi-annual convention calendar and quarterly updates to Visit Baltimore members;
- Leads the on-boarding and development plans for sales and services staff in all matters pertaining to convention sales and services;
- Oversees development of sales goals and incentive program for the sales & services staff and works with team to meet/exceed goal;
- Works collaboratively with the Research team to develop and maintain on going reporting needs as well as pertinent statistical economic impact data to Baltimore;
- Develops Strategies & SOP for all booking reports, bid presentations and site inspections conducted by the sales and services departments;
- Oversees strategic industry partnership agreements and holds key memberships with convention/meeting/exhibition trade organizations to support the positioning of Baltimore as an industry advocate and leading meetings and convention destination; represents the organization for meeting/convention related committees and organizations;
- Creates and manages sales and services departmental budgets;
- At the direction of the President and CEO, reports to the Board on behalf on the sales and services departments; develops agendas and leads hotel GM meetings on a regular basis;
- Leads the effort to maintain the efficiency of the sales and services data; coordinates with Research department as it relates to CRM usage and reporting needs; makes recommendations for reporting, software and technological upgrades relative to industry trends;
- Guides the effectiveness of meetings in the sales and service space; develops meetings schedule with the sales and services departmental staff to ensure purposeful outcomes and that agenda and action items/minutes are shared; reviews upcoming conventions, outstanding leads, and special projects at internal leadership and all staff meetings;
- Complies with Company policies and procedures and enforces those policies and procedures with members of the sales and services departments;
- Provides leadership in areas of expertise;
- Any other duties as assigned by the President and CEO.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with a minimum of eight years’ experience in hospitality industry sales with progressive responsibilities to include management of multiple personnel and projects. Hotel or CVB experience strongly preferred;
- Exceptional relationship building skills with ability to successfully motivate and manage a high performing team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to understand and process information and ideas and present information to internal and external stakeholders in a clear and concise fashion;
- Ability to proactively plan, manage and prioritize activities and goals, and work in collaboration with other departments and external stakeholders;
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Simpleview CRM;
- Must be able to travel as needed and able to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays based on client and office demands;
- Positive attitude, dependability and professionalism are a must.
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected]. Visit Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visitor Center Custodial Services Specialist
Seasonal, Part Time
The Visitor Center Custodial Services Specialist provides cleaning services for the Baltimore Visitor Center to keep it clean and neat so that visitors experience the best Visitor Center as possible. The ideal candidate must be reliable, able to maintain a professional and respectful demeanor, and be able to work independently. The following list includes, but is not limited to, the duties of a Visitor Center Custodial Services Specialist:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the cleanliness of the Visitor Center throughout the day, including the public exhibition hall, theater, restrooms, and breakroom and office areas.
- Check on the cleanliness of each restroom at least every 10 minutes. Keep the restroom floors clean and free of standing water or other liquids or dirt or trash throughout the day. Use germicidal detergent when necessary. Clean and sanitize toilet bowls, urinals, and diaper changing stations in each restroom throughout the day as needed and at the end of the business day. Refill, as necessary, all soap, towel, tissues, deodorizer, and related restroom supplies. Vacuum exhaust vents in the ceiling of each restroom.
- Clean, dust and disinfect kitchenette area, including table, chairs, sink, counter, microwave, toaster oven, refrigerator, cabinets, windowsill, water cooler, and coffee machines, including front, behind and under equipment on the counter, and under the sink and counter.
- Clean all glass doors and windows in both entryway vestibules inside and outside (weather permitting), as well as all glass windows at first and second level (below and above the first level of steel separators with ledges) throughout Visitor Center and the outside of the glass doors at entrance to theater.
- Vacuum (or sweep) all carpeted mats at entrances and restroom alcove and theater (as possible) as necessary throughout the day. Remove any spots or stains from carpeted mats at entrances and restroom alcove.
- Remove all trash, leaves, dust, etc. from the vestibule and sweep and wet mop the grates and floor frames for two main entrances (as crowd permits).
- Remove trash from all trash receptacles throughout the building and deposit them in the designated location for pickup.
- Police granite and slate area directly outside of the Visitor Center. Deposit resulting trash in public receptacles as appropriate.
- Clean and polish all chrome and stainless steel in the Visitor Center, including stanchions, entry door and theater door handles, and display cases. Ensure all dirt and grime is removed.
- Sweep and wet mop all slate, granite and resilient floor areas through the Visitor Center, including behind the information desk.
- Remove all graffiti, gum, spots, and/or stains from walls, partitions, doors, floors, sinks and counters as needed;
- Observe safety precautions and properly use equipment and products.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures.
- Any other duties assigned by Manager of Visitor Services and Events.
- High school diploma or equivalent, related experience may substitute;
- Must be available to work weekends;
- Must be able to work independently and interact with staff and visitors in a respectful and courteous manner;
- Must be able to operate powered vacuum cleaners and use various cleaning equipment in a careful and safe manner;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- This position requires the employee to frequently stand, walk, bend and reach.
- Dependability and professionalism are a must.
Interested candidates should forward their resume to [email protected]. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Visit Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Limited Part Time Position-As Needed Basis
Convention Registrar is a limited position that supports and services conventions and business meetings held in the Baltimore Convention Center or Baltimore area hotels on an as needed basis. This position performs various job duties including registration, database operation, information concierge, show office, room monitoring, cashiering, and more. The registrars are the “front-line” team that provides outstanding customer service and professional work in an effort to maximize a convention attendee’s positive experience in the Baltimore area.
- Candidate should have 1-3 years customer service experience;
- Ability to type accurately and at an appropriate speed;
- Must be reliable and on time;
- Must have flexible schedule, as Registrars need to be available all days of scheduled conventions and meetings in order to be considered for available work;
- Must be able to follow directions and work professionally and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Must be able to manage multiple responsibilities;
- Must be able to adapt to change as position assignments may change throughout the day as directed by the meeting planner;
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills;
- Previous cash handling experience preferred.
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and resume to: [email protected]. Visit Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.
Digital Content Intern - Fall
Visit Baltimore is looking for a qualified intern to join our marketing team this Fall. Our intern will assist the Director of Web Marketing, Content & Publications Manager and the Web Marketing Manager.
Upon completion of the internship at Visit Baltimore, each student will leave with valuable “real world” experience in a fast-paced setting, written pieces for their portfolios, and a variety of professional skills and accomplishments to add to their resumes in the areas of marketing, tourism and multimedia content development.
- Research, write and edit monthly and weekly event roundups for publication on our website Baltimore.org
- Contribute to the research, writing and editing of digital and print content for Visit Baltimore
- Assist with website uploads and editing using basic HTML coding
- Assist with basic website updates and maintenance and sourcing photos
- Assist with preparation and set-up for off-site video and photography shoots
- Brainstorm new ideas for digital content
- Share feedback on new content creation
- We are looking for juniors or seniors interested in a career in digital marketing, tourism, multimedia journalism or web development.
- We ask our intern to commit to 10-15 hours or 2-3 days per week.
- Our intern should be able to work quickly and efficiently on a deadline and must have strong writing and editing skills.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with HTML coding, digital video creation and MS Office Suite a plus.
To apply for this internship, please email a resume and writing sample to Deanna Martino at [email protected].