Regional Director of Sales, Midwest
About Visit Baltimore:
Established in 1982, as a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit corporation, Visit Baltimore is the official destination marketing organization for Baltimore. We are the marketing arm for the Baltimore Convention Center as well as for Visit Baltimore member businesses within the hospitality community. Visit Baltimore brings together the interests of the private sector, government, trade and civic associations and the Visit Baltimore members, in continuing to build the successful convention and leisure travel industry in the Baltimore area.
Mission: Visit Baltimore generates economic benefits for Baltimore City through the attraction of convention, group and leisure visitors, and works to provide a positive experience for all guests.
Values: Our day-to-day behaviors are the foundation of our workplace culture. Because of this, all our actions must come from a place of respect for ourselves, our colleagues, our customers, our community and our stakeholders. Grounded in a foundation of respect, we embrace the following values as the principal pillars of our culture:
- Practice Mindfulness
- Empower Collaboration
- Exemplify Adaptability
- Celebrate Diversity
As a member of the convention sales team, assists in the generation of new convention and meeting business opportunities. Work collaboratively with key stakeholders to cultivate new business opportunities and with the Sales and Services team to optimize this business. The incumbent will be responsible and accountable for meeting and/or exceeding sales goals and sales initiatives as defined in the annual sales and marketing plan. Initiate and maintain relationships with counterpart sales staff of all member hotel properties and the Baltimore Convention Center, and keep updated on city information, which may enhance and educate potential client’s decision to book their business in Baltimore. Direct all regional sales activity focused on assigned market within designated region; focus sales efforts on generating new citywide business opportunities for Baltimore and managing all aspects of the sales process including closing business. Guide and assist Regional Sales Manager in the region in the same core areas of responsibility. Act as primary point of contact for relevant market segment sales activities including tradeshows and direct sales initiatives. May lead and review the work of less experienced staff by providing mentoring, technical guidance and/or training in daily activities as the knowledge expert on the market and customer issues. Home based office with travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handle solicitation of all citywide convention groups encompassing multi-hotel properties simultaneously and space within the Baltimore Convention Center and the City of Baltimore. Responsible for handling leads from start to finish to include; blocking space at the convention center and working with the Convention Center to work out pricing on the customer’s behalf. As well as working with hotel community by sending a lead to hotel partners and creating the hotel room block grid. Once information is complete, compile the information and create a bid proposal for the customer. Sales responsibilities will also include solicitation and management of accounts representing non-convention center related business;
- Work with partner sales manager within same market to generate leads from sales activities; Develop strategies on strong market segments based in territory to tie in Baltimore’s strengths, i.e. Medical market;
- Identify and qualify business for the city that meets booking criteria;
- Responsible for closing business, meeting or exceeding event and room night goal and lead goal;
- Develop meaningful and robust FY action plans which are thorough and quantifiable. Utilize tools to evaluate and advance targeted business opportunities;
- Conduct at least 25 outside sales calls within assigned region per month, coordinate 6-12 citywide site visits annually on behalf of customers, visit 4-6 annual meetings for prospective customers.
- Coordinate/host site inspections, FAM tours, sales missions and/or special requests for clients;
- Responsible for attending industry trade shows, both local and out of town and representing Baltimore in any community functions and networking opportunities pertaining to convention marketing/sales or Visit Baltimore membership programs;
- Maintain a working knowledge of the hospitality industry within the city of Baltimore and strive to understand the needs of the hotel community to identify/qualify business for the City and our hotel partners;
- Maintain accurate account and booking information, as well as customer profiles in Simpleview in accordance with Visit Baltimore sales guidelines;
- Distribute leads to member hotel properties and the Baltimore Convention Center, and act as a liaison between member properties and the client;
- Follow-up on all correspondence between hotels, convention center, attractions and clients;
- Contribute to the marketing plan and budgeting process as it relates to convention sales;
- Comply with Company policies and procedures;
- Provide leadership in areas of expertise;
- Any other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Sales and Special Events or Vice President of Convention Sales and Services.
- Preferred college degree in sales, marketing or related field with 5+ years’ experience in the hospitality industry with emphasis on convention sales and services. Hotel or CVB experience strongly preferred;
- Experience with the formal bid process, proven sales skills as they relate to sourcing new business, qualifying customers, lead development and follow-up, sales presentations and networking skills;
- Familiarity with the meetings industry and experience using assessments, rate negotiations, rebates and other negotiation tools;
- Superior customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Strong organization and presentation skills;
- Must be highly motivated and detail oriented;
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel out of town to trade shows, meetings, etc. required.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Digital Content Intern - Spring
Visit Baltimore is looking for a qualified intern to join our marketing team this Spring. Our intern will assist the Director of Web Marketing, Content & Publications Manager and the Web Marketing Manager.
Upon completion of the internship at Visit Baltimore, each student will leave with valuable “real world” experience in a fast-paced setting, written pieces for their portfolios, and a variety of professional skills and accomplishments to add to their resumes in the areas of marketing, tourism and multimedia content development.
- Research, write and edit monthly and weekly event roundups for publication on our website Baltimore.org
- Contribute to the research, writing and editing of digital and print content for Visit Baltimore
- Assist with website uploads and editing using basic HTML coding
- Assist with basic website updates and maintenance and sourcing photos
- Assist with preparation and set-up for off-site video and photography shoots
- Brainstorm new ideas for digital content
- Share feedback on new content creation
- We are looking for juniors or seniors interested in a career in digital marketing, tourism, multimedia journalism or web development.
- We ask our intern to commit to 10-15 hours or 2-3 days per week.
- Our intern should be able to work quickly and efficiently on a deadline and must have strong writing and editing skills.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with HTML coding, digital video creation and MS Office Suite a plus.
To apply for this internship, please email a resume and writing sample to Deanna Martino at [email protected].
Public Relations Intern –
Fall 2020 to Spring 2021
Visit Baltimore is seeking a highly motivated college student to join our communications team as a public relations intern starting in the fall 2020 semester. Visit Baltimore’s PR internship program will introduce students to the art of public relations and communications, with a special focus on the tourism and hospitality industry.
Upon completion of the internship at Visit Baltimore, students will leave with valuable real-world experience in a fast-paced setting, as well as content for their portfolios and a variety of professional skills to add to a resume.
- Assist PR Manager with coordination of media opportunities and media monitoring
- Support PR Coordinator with creation and delivery of media welcome bags
- Maintain and make monthly updates to the media clips log and keep information current in CRM database
- Assist with writing, proofreading and distributing press materials
- Complete special research projects as assigned by PR Manager
- Join the Communications team for brainstorming sessions and special events
- We are seeking college juniors or seniors interested in a career in communications, public relations, marketing, or tourism.
- We ask interns to commit to 10-15 hours or 2-3 days per week.
- Intern should be able to work quickly and efficiently on deadline and must have strong writing and editing skills.
- Intern should have working knowledge of the AP Stylebook.
To apply for this internship, please email a resume and writing sample to Jessie Walker at [email protected].