Director of Communications
Provide proactive and strategic direction in the development and management of communication initiatives designed to assist Visit Baltimore in reaching its goals and to fulfill its mission as the destination marketing organization for Baltimore City. Responsible for securing positive earned media coverage for Baltimore nationally and in the City’s key feeder markets in consumer and travel media through targeted media relations outreach, including but not limited to, group and individual press trips, media missions, press releases, e-newsletters, targeted pitches and individual interviews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of national public relations firm, including but not limited to story development sessions, weekly status calls, and out-of-market media relations strategies and implementation of ideas;
- Aggressively pitch story ideas about Baltimore to travel and national media to generate positive news coverage for Baltimore as a travel destination;
- Manage in-market press visits (both individual and group), from developing tour concept to creating the itinerary and managing all tour logistics from inception to completion along with post-tour follow up;
- Plan events to network and meet with travel media as well pitch and secure press missions to key markets to meet with appropriate media outlets;
- Manage culinary initiative for Communications Department, including researching and pitching food and beverage related story ideas and overseeing freelance writers in creating web and other culinary content; coordinate with Marketing Department.
- Research and write news releases on new attractions, seasonal activities and major citywide events for placement in national travel articles and calendar listings across all media platforms;
- Develop and write themed promotional fact sheets, story ideas and newsletters for travel media;
- Increase Baltimore’s exposure in broadcast, print and online media;
- Build and maintain relationship with Visit Baltimore membership, to develop and cultivate pitch ideas;
- Maintain a well-informed working knowledge of the attractions and services available in the area and act as a liaison between these entities and the media;
- Track earned media on a monthly basis, adding to organization CRM, maintaining copies of articles for presentations and tracking efforts with media and members in CRM;
- Maintain database of travel writers, editors and related media associates based on interests.
- Represent Baltimore at industry events such as the Mid-Atlantic Tourism Public Relations Alliance (MATPRA), PRSA, IPW, SATW, etc.;
- Stay up-to-date on industry best practices, standards and benchmarks by reading publications and attending continuing education classes.
- Participate in various industry and organization activities to maintain positive relationships and awareness of City;
- Occasionally work on evenings and weekends,
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field preferred. 6-8 years’ experience in the tourism industry or related field;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage at both strategic and operational levels;
- Experience with wide range of communication’s print and online practices including press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, etc.;
- Experience planning and executing press visits, including itinerary and managing all tour logistics and post-tour follow up;
- Documented effectiveness in motivating journalists to publish story ideas that communicate a central theme or message;
- Experience working with diverse audiences;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with media associates and Visit Baltimore member organizations;
- Must be able to work independently in a fast-paced office environment with the ability to prioritize and follow through on multiple assignments;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.
Limited Part Time Position-As Needed Basis
Convention Registrar is a limited position that supports and services conventions and business meetings held in the Baltimore Convention Center or Baltimore area hotels on an as needed basis. This position performs various job duties including registration, database operation, information concierge, show office, room monitoring, cashiering, and more. The registrars are the “front-line” team that provides outstanding customer service and professional work in an effort to maximize a convention attendee’s positive experience in the Baltimore area.
- Candidate should have 1-3 years customer service experience;
- Ability to type accurately and at an appropriate speed;
- Must be reliable and on time;
- Must have flexible schedule, as Registrars need to be available all days of scheduled conventions and meetings in order to be considered for available work;
- Must be able to follow directions and work professionally and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Must be able to manage multiple responsibilities;
- Must be able to adapt to change as position assignments may change throughout the day as directed by the meeting planner;
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills;
- Previous cash handling experience preferred.
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Visit Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.