Are you interested in gaining a fast track to a leadership career in Baltimore’s hospitality and tourism industry? Our Diversity Apprenticeship program may be the perfect fit for you.
This 600-hour paid apprenticeship program provides substantial and holistic experience working across multiple departments within Visit Baltimore and Guinness Open Gate Brewery as well as exposure to other industry partners such as a hotel, attraction, convention, arena or other sports facility (customized pending apprentice interests and experience). The program actively targets applicants from Baltimore City who identify as BIPOC or with another under-represented or minority group.
This program is made possible by Guinness Open Gate Brewery. Thank you for your unwavering support in creating more pathways for underrepresented populations within the travel and tourism space.
And thank you to our program partners at Searchwide Global for developing and investing in leaders of tomorrow who represent a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives.
Visit Baltimore, the official sales and marketing organization for the City, understands the critical role tourism plays in workforce development and the economic vitality of a community. After all, the travel industry is currently the third largest employer for Baltimore City, supporting 86,000 local jobs, and generating $10 billion dollars in visitor spending during a typical year.
BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) talent and leadership is vastly underrepresented in our industry. This program offers emerging leaders from underrepresented communities and diverse ethnic backgrounds the opportunity to gain firsthand experience working in destination marketing and the hospitality industry.
The beauty of travel has always been its ability to expose us to people, places, and experiences different from our own. Visit Baltimore and Guinness Open Gate Brewery are thrilled to offer this program as we create more pathways for underrepresented populations in our respective industries.
The central terms of the apprenticeship program are as follows:
- 1 apprentice with a focus on ethnic diversity.
- At least 600 hours providing substantial experience working within a department of the Destination Marketing Organization (DMO), with Guinness Open Gate Brewery as well as exposure to industry partners.
- Paid stipend during the program (at least $16/hour), and transportation support.
- Guaranteed employment at (minimum) a coordinator level upon successful completion.
Applicants should meet the following universal eligibility requirements:
- Aged 21+, no DUI history and a resident of Baltimore City (preferred) or Baltimore metro region
- Interest in the hospitality/travel/tourism sector
- Preferred to identify as BIPOC or another underrepresented or minority group
- Possessing a strong work ethic, a passion for learning, and abundant curiosity
- Commit to 600-hour apprenticeship (not to exceed 6 months unless noted; preferred start date 10/6/22 with availability to work at least 25-30 hours per week.)
- Adhere to program policies and procedures of Visit Baltimore, Guinness Open Gate Brewery, and any additional host destination partners.
- Perform all duties as assigned.
- Complete a program survey / post-apprenticeship evaluation.
Note: While performing the duties of the apprenticeship, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. Employee may be requested to lift materials of up to twenty-five pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentials functions.
Complete the DIVERSITY APPRENTICESHIP APPLICATION FORM
Submit with your application form:
- Professional resume
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation from an academic or professional reference that support your application
SEND ALL MATERIALS:
By Email: [email protected] (Subject: Apprenticeship Application)
By Mail Attn: Visit Baltimore Human Resources, 400 E. Pratt Street, 10th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202