Fell's Point, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Baltimore, has remained largely unchanged. Picture cobblestone streets, waterfront restaurants and cozy boutiques.
Established in 1763, Fell’s Point is a city, state and National Historic District and boasts over 161 buildings on the National Register, including the oldest standing residence in Baltimore City, the Robert Long House, which is open for tours by reservation. The neighborhood is steeped in history - the streets of Fell’s Point are paved with Belgian blocks, the original stone bricks brought over by trade ships from Europe. Walk them along Broadway and Thames Street where you’ll also see numbers carved into the curbs to mark placements for outdoor market stalls generations ago. In the same area stands Broadway Market, a year-round indoor market built in 1786. Fell’s Point is also the last known sight of Edgar Allan Poe before his mysterious death.
The first African American-owned shipyard in the United States is now an African American heritage site, the Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park Museum. The museum celebrates the life of Frederick Douglass, a Maryland native who worked as a shipbuilder in Fell’s Point before becoming a national leader in abolition. FDIMMM is owned by Living Classrooms Foundation which aims to inspire younger generations through hands-on education and training in the real world.
Because Fell’s Point’s early days were as a shipbuilding town, the area was mainly inhabited by seamen and pirates who indulged in the three b’s – bars, brothels and boarding houses. To learn more about Fell’s Point’s storied past, take a walking tour with Baltimore National Heritage Area or a ghost tour with Baltimore Ghost Tours or Baltimore Wicked History Tours. The Fell’s Point Ship Yard produced the first frigate of the Continental Navy, the Virginia, in 1775 and the Constellation in 1797. It was also known for building the famous speedy Baltimore Clippers. The area’s maritime history is celebrated each year at the Privateer Festival – a swashbuckling festival you won’t want to miss!
In 2017 the Sagamore Pendry Baltimore hotel opened with 128 rooms atop the restored historic Recreation Pier. The pier was built in 1914 and after many years fell into disrepair before Kevin Plank, the CEO of Under Armour decided to repair and preserve it